For George (aka Finnegan) March 18,1955-March 11,2007
Perhaps now I can live my life a little more recklessly,
thumbing my nose at warning signs, laughing at impending
danger. In time I will get to where you are and you will be
waiting. I think it's like in the movies, I'm here, you're there.
I feel you, you leave signs. But the ending can't be truly
happy, till the ending comes. All in good time my friend,
all in good time.
I could do a little jig in honor of the joy you've brought to my
world and to my life. But I seem to have forgotten how.
Forgive me dear one, my memory fails me these days.
But I'll wait for you to teach me once again what I seem to
have forgotten.
How much can a person be missed or remembered?
I'll be the one to break that record and reach the limitless
limit line.
There will never be goodbyes, your electricity inhabits
my cells. Dream your dream my sweet. And may they be
filled with the full spectrum of heavenly light. You are
always right here, deep inside my heart, just as you
have always been and will always be-- forever.
I know you.
I know you.
thumbing my nose at warning signs, laughing at impending
danger. In time I will get to where you are and you will be
waiting. I think it's like in the movies, I'm here, you're there.
I feel you, you leave signs. But the ending can't be truly
happy, till the ending comes. All in good time my friend,
all in good time.
I could do a little jig in honor of the joy you've brought to my
world and to my life. But I seem to have forgotten how.
Forgive me dear one, my memory fails me these days.
But I'll wait for you to teach me once again what I seem to
have forgotten.
How much can a person be missed or remembered?
I'll be the one to break that record and reach the limitless
limit line.
There will never be goodbyes, your electricity inhabits
my cells. Dream your dream my sweet. And may they be
filled with the full spectrum of heavenly light. You are
always right here, deep inside my heart, just as you
have always been and will always be-- forever.
I know you.
I know you.

11 Comments:
Oh boulies, what a beautiful sensitive piece you've written about our friend Finn. I still visit his page and read his old posts. There is no one like him. I will truly miss my friend Finn.
Thank you for sharing with us.
This comment has been removed by the author.
i miss him.
miss him more than common sense would/should allow.
i never met him. didn't, unlike you dear boulies, know him.
but.
BUT.
i felt like i did. the way he and i could, as if by some mutually agreed instinct, tease each other unmercifully but never with spite.
i imagine he didn't have one spiteful cell in his body. it wasn't him somehow.
i remember the first comment he left for me where he told me that he went to a school where anais nin's husband taught. funny how something like that impressed me.
a lasting impression. just like FINN. just like george. i guess we can call him that now? no code broken.
i loved his site. i loved the surreal quality of it but also the way his own, singular humour would shine through.
i bet he had a wicked sense of humour didn't he?
other things too. odd bits of synchronicity.
he was, within a week of me, one year my junior. both of us arians (i think). me on the 25th and george on the 18th. funny that. don't think that either one of us knew that. sneaky bastard even managed to stay forever 51 whilst i am, near as damn it, 53.
typical of the man i guess. always one step ahead of me and now 51 forever.
i am not a religous man but a spiritual one nonetheless so i hope no one will be offended if i say..
god bless you george. thank you for your kind words and your encouragement and if i am wrong about heaven and we meet up there for the first time in that hallowed place, keep an eye out for me.
rest easy.
love russell (cocaine jesus)
x
i too miss him
as i said to neetee - i found myself grieving for a man i'd never met
you and cj do a great job of summing up what he meant to us in different ways
i felt close to him from the moment i read
(and smiled at) the title of his blog
i wish him peace
thank you
floots
He is missed. Over the last 6 months I went back to his site in the hope he'd posted again. I was truly shocked to hear he'd passed on. I miss his posts, but will go back and reread. I miss his comments at my place too.
Is it possible to be friends with someone you never met? George proved to me that it is. I miss our friend.
My inbox benefited from over 100 emails from George over the years. You have all desrcibed his impact so eloquently that I can only add he is still on my mind and in my heart.
Dear Boulies,
Oh, I wish this news was not what I feared months ago. I cried months ago, reading he was in pain. Now I cry and mourn this generous, witty, and creative person George, who *lucidly* brought new dimensions to my life. His warmth, wit, and intellect- oh, I can't go on and sputter- just will always remember his rainbow... and I didn't even know him in real life, as you did, sweet Boulies.
(I was reading CJ's most recent post and suddenly felt the urge to click your name on the blogroll.)
Your tender thoughts and questions about your friend George and life are beautifully written.
Hugs,
GeL
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I was fortunate to have known George for
over twenty years. I affectionately thought of
him as my American brother. His loss is
unmeasurable. A cruel play that I cannot
walk away from, and I ask question why,
why George? He loved life and had
so much more to give and places to visit.
George was a L.A. contemporary with
a zest for life like no other. He had immense
energy, a jogger, cyclist, was always on the
go and could eat faster than anyone.
His paintings are his legacy. He displayed
them in one of the top galleries, but George
was never after the limelight. He painted for
himself, his passion, not the accolades.
He was a prolific reader and as other
Bloggers can testify, a talented writer. His
knowledge of sports, especially the L.A.
Dodgers and the L.A. Lakers was unmatched.
He loved to laugh which was contagious.
He could conjure up such vivid metaphors
which never could be reproduced.
Come visit me often George, in my dreams.
For I do visit you, for each clear night I see you
there in The Heavens---the star that shines
so bright.
Love You For Eternity,
Geoff
Thank you all for leaving such loving and beautiful comments in memory of our Finn. He would have deeply appreciated your expressions of affection for him and your feelings of friendship with him.
What a wonderful circle of friends he found joy in communicating with here! He spoke of it often.You all brought him much happiness. Thank you again!
It had been so long since he posted or commented, but something today made me return to his site to say hello, to let him know that his humor and his wisdom, and of course, those marvelous dreams, have not been forgotten.
Then in the comment thread, I found a hint of this sad, impossible news and tracked him here.
I leave knowing more of him than I knew before, and knowing much less. I leave in tears, but grateful for your words just the same, grateful for the community that shares my grief.
Post a Comment
<< Home