A Tale of Two Abel's
Abel passed ever so quietly through my doorway, barely
making a peep. While crossing the threshold, which
heroically guarded my place of safe haven, an easy wind
accompanied him. It whisked across my cheek, coaxing me,
unsuccessfully, to hear the forbidden secret it was trying to
reveal.
Abel's small, deep set, steel blue eyes bore the look of a
directionless wanderer. I sensed that society had tagged him
an outcast. And now, due to his lack of self worth, he assigned
himself an anonymous identity. But I was quite certain that all
characters could be read, with his being no exception
to the rule, or so I thought.
Capturing my attention were his feet. They seemed unsteady
as they did a funny little jig, a kind of mini-march, as if hot
coals were searing their way through the rubber soles of
his work boots. Perhaps it was caused by the reflection of
his own inner uneasiness. Of this I could not be certain. But
the thought of it made me feel pity for the man.
Decorative tattoos ran up and down Abel's extremities, with
more purpose and direction than his very own, a lyrical
nitrogen explosion, a substitute for secrets longing to be
exposed, a circumvented anger, a puff of airless smoke.
There were bleeding, blackened letters imprinted upon
his flesh, of which I couldn't decipher. I didn't look that
closely. I didn't want to.
This was Abel the laborer, with hammer in hand, trying to
keep his appointments straight, hoping to create a semblance
of order in his dizzying, disorderly world.
After my brief but self satisfying effort to surmise his
character from top to bottom, I assigned Abel several
mundane repair projects, and expected him to make good
use of his time through heavy work and toil.
I then stepped into my kitchen, addressing the freshly
brewed cup of coffee and neatly opened newspaper,
both of which were right where I had left them just a few
short minutes before. Then I saw it! Amongst the tiresome
array of ads, opinions and legitimate articles, a familiar face
sat neatly wedged into the lower right hand corner of the
page. Plain block letters were hovering just above it. A
simple statement announced, "WANTED FOR MURDER."
In that moment, as my eyes focused on the familiar eyes
of my anonymous stranger, Abel stared back at me from
the corner of that page. I sat still and quiet as the ticking
of the clock slowed and my coffee turned to tepid mud.
Then the walls closed in as a shroud of darkness fell.
Abel rises from dust and ash, suitcase in hand, crossing
candy coated thresholds, liquifying them into darkened,
molten substances. Destined to melt even the most
hardened of hearts, his big, brown, lullaby eyes remind
me of those I once saw in an old silent film, stirring
adolescent fantasies which till then, had never been
touched.
Abel has arrived and wants to sell me something- something
hidden deep inside his plain, black, rectangular suitcase. I
am curious and want to see what he is offering. But an acrid
odor is seeping through its cracks. And besides, I was
always taught to never trust a stranger.
making a peep. While crossing the threshold, which
heroically guarded my place of safe haven, an easy wind
accompanied him. It whisked across my cheek, coaxing me,
unsuccessfully, to hear the forbidden secret it was trying to
reveal.
Abel's small, deep set, steel blue eyes bore the look of a
directionless wanderer. I sensed that society had tagged him
an outcast. And now, due to his lack of self worth, he assigned
himself an anonymous identity. But I was quite certain that all
characters could be read, with his being no exception
to the rule, or so I thought.
Capturing my attention were his feet. They seemed unsteady
as they did a funny little jig, a kind of mini-march, as if hot
coals were searing their way through the rubber soles of
his work boots. Perhaps it was caused by the reflection of
his own inner uneasiness. Of this I could not be certain. But
the thought of it made me feel pity for the man.
Decorative tattoos ran up and down Abel's extremities, with
more purpose and direction than his very own, a lyrical
nitrogen explosion, a substitute for secrets longing to be
exposed, a circumvented anger, a puff of airless smoke.
There were bleeding, blackened letters imprinted upon
his flesh, of which I couldn't decipher. I didn't look that
closely. I didn't want to.
This was Abel the laborer, with hammer in hand, trying to
keep his appointments straight, hoping to create a semblance
of order in his dizzying, disorderly world.
After my brief but self satisfying effort to surmise his
character from top to bottom, I assigned Abel several
mundane repair projects, and expected him to make good
use of his time through heavy work and toil.
I then stepped into my kitchen, addressing the freshly
brewed cup of coffee and neatly opened newspaper,
both of which were right where I had left them just a few
short minutes before. Then I saw it! Amongst the tiresome
array of ads, opinions and legitimate articles, a familiar face
sat neatly wedged into the lower right hand corner of the
page. Plain block letters were hovering just above it. A
simple statement announced, "WANTED FOR MURDER."
In that moment, as my eyes focused on the familiar eyes
of my anonymous stranger, Abel stared back at me from
the corner of that page. I sat still and quiet as the ticking
of the clock slowed and my coffee turned to tepid mud.
Then the walls closed in as a shroud of darkness fell.
Abel rises from dust and ash, suitcase in hand, crossing
candy coated thresholds, liquifying them into darkened,
molten substances. Destined to melt even the most
hardened of hearts, his big, brown, lullaby eyes remind
me of those I once saw in an old silent film, stirring
adolescent fantasies which till then, had never been
touched.
Abel has arrived and wants to sell me something- something
hidden deep inside his plain, black, rectangular suitcase. I
am curious and want to see what he is offering. But an acrid
odor is seeping through its cracks. And besides, I was
always taught to never trust a stranger.

16 Comments:
Ooooo sis!!
Wow! Reading this made me feel like a little fish being snagged by one excellent scary story. This crypto-mysterious tale had me grabbing for paper and a pen to jot down clues. I even rearranged a few letters in hopes that I would unravel the identity of Abel.
Though he's not a bird, or a plane, he just might be a superman.
You show us how the id, and time, and the innate nature of being met by the learning process within the depth of one's self is haunting.
You really have that special skill that pries open our heads and causes us to question our own understanding of the universe.
You're good my friend...and, sometimes very scary. :)
Keep it coming!!
wonderful atmosphere
i shall never again trust a stranger
especially if i meet him in my mind
great to be reading your work again
thank you
Sis Neetee, I love your description of how this made you feel. So I stimulated the detective in you, did I? I know that has to be a good thing. When I met the "Abel" who inspired this story, I felt this old biblical name deserved some special attention. Hope brother Cain doesn't mind sharing some of his attributes with him.
Thank you for your brilliant and insightful comments.
Floots, Always appreciate when you come by to visit. I'm glad you felt the atmosphere. You're right about strangers in the mind. They can be the most dangerous of all.
Thank You
I guess we all have our "Abels" knocking on our thoughts. Great write Boulies, glad you're back!!
Pat, Wonderful to see you here. I enjoy reading your writing again too.
this was excellently written. every single sense tingled in this piece as you marched me through this scene. i'll be definitely back for more. in fact, consider yerself linked.
Ruksak, Thank you so much for your kind words. I've read much of your writing in the past (originally recommended by way of Finnegin), and I know what a fine writer you are. I'm honored you have linked me and I've linked you as well. See you often.
wow, this is so cleverly written!
so nice to come by your blog and find another great story.
Polona, I'm so happy you stopped by to read my story and that you liked it. Thank you.
superb characterisation of abel! nice flow to the tale....
enjoyed it.
magiceye, You have a great name. Thank you so much for coming by and for your appreciation of my little tale.
Hello. I love the descriptions and the build up, and the scary shift.
I would not buy anything from this Abel!
It's great to read your fine writing, and thank you for your visit.
boulies, i'm honoured that you showed my work to your daughter.
thank you and take care :)
Barnes, I'm so pleased that you stopped by and took the time to read my story. Thank you for your kind words.
Polona, Thank your for inspiring her.
from the moment he walked in to the second the coffee goes bad i was hooked.
a brightly tuned colour movie bled to noir.
i like the way you twist the tale.
abel's eyes are blue.
abel's eyes are brown.
too rare your words but when they arrive...
KABOOM!
CJ, I can tell you hit the nail on the head and truly interpreted this image in the way I intended it to be. Thank you for getting it so well...and for the wonderful compliment.
I'll be over to see you soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home