Sunday, June 25, 2006

Nefertiti Unwrapped

Nefertiti promises to get out of my head. She dropped
by one night for a visit, just as I had stepped out for a
twilight doze. I could have smacked her thoughts like
a pesky mosquito, but her diatribe bore a hole into the
right side of my brain, diverting my attention into a
historical loophole. I've tried to be patient with her. But
now she's become a little neurotic and parasitic, as
she whispers these words again and again:

"These breasts were not made of terra cotta, nor
burdened by texts scribed into histories walls; those
made by my contemporaries, your ancients of whom
I deplore. They bore me to death with their finite
preoccupations and ramblings of long ago. And as
I curse them all for trying to decode my sacred heart,
I remember his fingertips impressing themselves-
imprinting themselves into my supple and pliable
flesh, leaving momentary reddened notations, but
forever imprinting his memory into my sad and
siphoned heart. Now I search through the eons for him,
Akhenaten."

As I listen to her midnight murmuring, as we share our
veins and arteries, as we pulse the same heartbeat,
I know there is no history, only her bronze toned
essence living and breathing lost dreams from within;
a late night visitor commingling with my cells. And
promise as she will to vacate the premises, it's time
for me to help set her free; free from my body's cloying
earthliness. Not to the empty tomb history left behind
for her, but free to merge with our ancestors dust
particles; just behind the scrim which obscures our
vision of them all.

13 Comments:

Blogger Neetee said...

sister boulies, you have effectively - as well she knew - laid out a route through your blood, and veins, and cells, and mind, for Queen Nefretiti to travel back with truth intact to her ancient time without quarrel as to her mightiness, beauty, and co-rulership with her Lord and Love, Akenaten. She knows that it is not you who keeps her dumb in clay and weak frozen in time. You know her, as she knows you, and you gave her a tear in time to travel back in a revived ancient comfort that is fit only for the Queen Nefretiti.

This is an amazing piece! Your writing once again, informs us with style and a grace so full of knowing about your mind. The beauty of this piece attests to the beauty of Nefretiti. It is adventurous in a world well traveled; that world being your wonderful mind.

I love the casual mystery of it. Where else can you take us?

3:54 AM  
Blogger floots said...

thank you so much for this
it not only humanises a mythic figure in a beautiful way which does not detract from her status
it reminds me that we all have/need
such a dreamspirit to guide
aid
befriend
us
on our individual journeys

11:29 PM  
Blogger shikha said...

Abducted by the aliens and then dropped back:) HUH!!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

To unwrap the mummy is to unwrap the woman? Spirit needs flesh and bone, not hieroglyphs and stone. Boulies, you have a remarkable talent in storytelling. Have read this through numerous times now, and each time the read gets sweeter and sweeter!!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Sister Neetee, Your comment is so lyrical and inventive in itself, you inspire me further. As usual, your attention to detail and the care you give in getting to the center and heart of each piece written, is a true gift in itself. You never fall short in your thoughtfulness and generosity. I can always count on you to give me an energy boost. Thank you Sis!

Silvermoon, Thank you for reading this several times. Egyptian history and art is so fasinating and mind boggling in its richness and depth. I'm glad you're here to appreciate my small tribute to an era which we know so much and so little of. Thank you for your spirited and thoughtful words.

Floots, As always, I appreciate your beautiful words dear floots. And what you say is true. We only need to remember that guides do exist. That's when the magic can begin. Thank your for understanding so deeply, the intent of which this piece was written.

shikha, :)

Pat, I love the little poem you've created at the beginning here. I'm truly flattered by your warm compliments. I'm also always so pleased the way you openly share your appreciation. I always look forward to your comments.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Perfect Virgo said...

How wonderful that you should be a conduit for this enigmatic woman of ancient history. If anyone can lay her soul to rest you can.

I read that her mummy has still not been satisfactorily identified, despite the myriad archaeological trowelings in the Valley of the Kings. I think Sometimes they were deliberately desecrated in antiquity and it seems that would be enough to make anyone restless!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Perfect Virgo, I've also heard that about Nefertiti never being identified. I learned this last year when we went to the King Tut exhibit here at the LA County Museum of Art. I actually wrote parts of this a few years ago after watching a documentary about her and Akhenaton. All factual information tends to blur for me and I just suck out the life of it which appeals or feels real to me personally. That's sort of how I process things. Of course in this case, I've made up my own reality completely. You always share your much welcomed wisdom in your comments. Thank you!!! And with no intended disrespect to her, may Nefertiti herself never really enter my domain. I'll go run for cover!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

i love tales of ancient days and better still ones that present there here and now and the past as one continuous loop. i like the way you mirror reflect queen nefretiti with your self. sort of gives anchor to the past in her through you somehow.
i also have longed believed that we all have spirit guides that select us to work with them.
mine is xia.
i will introduce you all to her one day.
lovely piece this boulies. little and too seldom do you appear but when you do, boy is it worth the wait.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Neetee said...

I had to do a re-read. This is a wonderfully crafted style of deep treasure that had to find a way to be spoken. I LOVE it!!

Here you have written a painting! It would be as if the museum were in reverse. Painters would enter with paper and canvasses to illustrate the explanation of your words. Hey, now there's a cool idea for a one of a kind art museum.

Your work is very 'heavy'. Just the way I like it. It's beautiful and reaches deep in the senses where we are rarely touched or made to think. And my sister, you do this sooooo very well! You shall wear a crown of glory.

LOVE IT!!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Cocaine, I'd love to hear about xia some day. If I do have spirit guides I believe they are family members who have passed, paritcularly my father. If Nefertiti decided to communicate I don't think that would set to well with me. I'd prefer to keep her in print. I'm glad you like this and I always look forward to your comments. Thank you! xx

Sis Neetee, Thank you for your beautiful comments. Your idea of this as a written painting is so interesting and inventive. I love it! I always treasure what you have to say.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Skelety, I'm so glad you appreciate this one. The title would be a very interesting headline. The paper would make billions of $$$ on the day of publication. Egyptian history is so mysterious. No matter how much we study it, it will always remain ellusive. Thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to them.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Finney, Oh NO! Not Dick Cheney! And the others are way too freaky for me to either think about. Especially Hitler. Rotting teeth! And you say mine gave you the heebee jeebee's. I think I'll never fall asleep again!

I really like your take on the original Abbyssinian Vogue Queen. And you're right about our Queen Neetee being our contemporary West Coast version.
And I get to have her as a friend (and Sis) without all the worry. She can talk inside my head anytime and I'll never have the desire to banish her out.

Thank you Finn for your fun, imaginative and crazy (as usual) take on things. It was worth the wait to hear from you.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home