Monday, March 28, 2011

Dedicated to the Tsunami victims of Japan

As rhythmic waves proposed no boundaries
and the clammer of life eclipsed beyond
a deafened shore, a salty mist meandered
through my open window, carrying a frozen
breath which swept across my sleepy soul.

In my slumber I heard an encumbered lullaby,
cradling unspoken messages from a place unknown,
which told of a far off island, six thousand miles
from my home.

And as I lay swaddled safely within my bed
and this song of silent magnitude played so softly
in my head, like a dream but not a dream as the lull
rose to an imploding roar, I awoke with deep
foreboding to the call of those who are no more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Perfect Virgo said...

Beautiful and sensitive thoughts Elena. I hope you're well.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

PV, Thank you so much!! It was such
a such pleasant surprise seeing your comment. I haven't posted in so long.
I've just visited your blog and left a comment but somehow it didn't post.
I'm doing very well.. been painting for the last two years.
Love seeing your family photos! Two beautiful children now... Wow! Wonderful!!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Perfect Virgo said...

So you've turned your sights on painting as a creative outlet Elena, very nice.

Both my grown-up sons are able to draw and paint but I am no use with a brush. I'm glad you enjoy the pictures of the girls, they are growing up so fast but are helping to keep me young.

Not many people left in the blog world from the old days but I'm hanging on!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

PV, I'm so glad to find you're still here blogging! I hope to stick around this time. Actually, I've always been an artist. Started painting when I was 12 and have my college degree in art. I needed to get back to it. I had taken too long of a break. I'll pop over to your site and give you my website so you can see some of my work.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

I missed this when first posted. Good to see you back. I have missed your work.

xx

4:41 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

PS. I ilike the poem especially the reference to an island some 6,000 miles away.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Elena Horowitz-Brookes said...

Russell, Thank You!
I've missed you! I left a comment on one of your posts but blogger being nasty and erased it! I'll be over to visit again soon.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home